- I’m Vice President/President Elect of the Conference on Latin American History
- Please check out the Florida International University Department of History and Kimberly Green Latin American and Caribbean Center websites to see news about my wonderful colleagues and students
- I belong to La Patrona Collective which honors the memory of María Elena Martínez
- In March 2018, we hosted members of La Patrona Collective at FIU for Archivos: An Open Seminar. Click to see event video, readings, and a photo collage.
- The reflections of participants in the Archivos event, along with others scholars and archivists, will be featured in the 2017-8 issue of Hemisphere, a publication of the FIU Kimberly Green Latin American & Caribbean Studies Center. Check back!
Recent Online Activities
- I participated in a wide-ranging dialogue in 2017 with other historians who’ve recently written on law in the journal Comparative Studies in Society and History
- In April 2017, I was invited to present my newest book, The Enlightenment on Trial, at an event also honoring the retirement of my colleague David Cook at the Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú– the institution that first hosted me as a doctoral student in Lima in the 90s. Video here.
- My reflections on how Fidel Castro’s death and the 2016 presidential election are related in Miami appeared on the North American Conference on Latin America (NACLA) website in November 2016
- I was delighted to be the keynote speaker at the 2016 Faculty Convocation at FIU. You can read the text of my remarks here, or watch a video here.