- I’m President of the Conference on Latin American History
- I’ve held a variety of positions within Florida International University Department of History and Kimberly Green Latin American and Caribbean Center and hope you’ll check out the frequent news about my wonderful colleagues and students
- I belong to La Patrona Collective which honors the memory of María Elena Martínez
- In March 2018, FIU hosted members of La Patrona Collective for Archivos: An Open Seminar. Click to see event video, readings, and a photo collage.
- The reflections of participants in the Archivos event, along with others scholars, archivists and artists, were featured my guest-edited issue, “Documented: The Colonial Archive and the Future of the Americas,” Hemisphere: A Magazine of the Americas 27 (Winter 2018) publication of the FIU Kimberly Green Latin American & Caribbean Center.
Recent Online Activities
- I was delighted to be the keynote speaker at the 2016 Faculty Convocation at FIU. You can read the text of my remarks here, or watch a video here.
- The American Historical Association recently featured me in a Member Spotlight
- A wide-ranging dialogue in 2017 other historians who’ve recently written on law in the journal Comparative Studies in Society and History included one of my contributions
- I was interviewed by The Junto, an exciting blog on early American history, about my thoughts on Spanish America childhood history. The other interviews in the roundtable series show what a truly dynamic field this is.
- In April 2017, my newest book, The Enlightenment on Trial was featured at an event also honoring my retiring colleague David Cook at the Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú– the institution that first hosted me as a doctoral student in Lima in the 90s. I am also proud to take David’s place as the liaison between FIU and PUCP, continuing their long history of institutional collaboration Video here.
- My reflections on how Fidel Castro’s death and the 2016 presidential election are related in Miami appeared on the North American Conference on Latin America (NACLA) website in November 2016